This is a very popular blog article so I have re-released it with the addition of an excellent bite-size series on learning WordPress by iThemes. Available here
WordPress Resources, Tips & Tricks and Online Courses
WordPress is very easy to use but there are tips and tricks that make it easier to update content. Also it is not always obvious whether you should be updating a post, page, menu or widget. Thankfully there are some great resources and training courses online that will take you through step by step on using WordPress.
There is more than one way to learn WordPress so find the best match to suit your learning style from online tutorials, videos and guides
So if you don’t know your page from your post or want to delve deeper into WordPress here are some good places to start:
Lynda.com (paid online training courses)
Great way to learn WordPress with online videos, FAQs, course files and transcripts.
Team TreeHouse (paid online training courses)
Another high quality and professional online training option with videos, forums, transcripts and course files.
Free resource on WordPress with written articles, guides, videos and glossary. Recommended for beginners.
You can go as deep as you want into WordPress from basic editing of articles to creating your own shortcodes and creating plugins.
WP Apprentice (paid online training courses from US$47)
Beginner WordPress Tutorial (free)
Youtube is a great place if you prefer to learn through video. Here is a 90 min video on WordPress Essentials. It is a Beginner WordPress tutorial for anyone who wants to make a WordPress website or just create a beautiful blog without any coding. This will cover everything from hosting a website to building a blog to creating an online eCommerce store.
Other Youtube WordPress Tutorials available here
A range of videos by SiteGround for WordPress How To for Beginners.
An educational website made for web beginners where we’ve included in-depth online guides together with downloadable PDF’s, WordPress video tutorials and web development resources in order to help newbies establish their online identity
- What is WordPress?
- WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org
- Your WordPress Login
- Exploring the WordPress Dashboard
- Using the WordPress Admin Bar
- Exploring WordPress Settings
- WordPress Posts vs. Pages
- Creating a WordPress Post
- Adding Links in WordPress
- Using the WordPress Media Library
- Adding Images in WordPress
- Formatting WordPress Posts
- Scheduling WordPress Posts
- WordPress Categories & Tags
- Creating a WordPress Page
- Applying a WordPress Page Template
- What are WordPress Plugins?
- Installing WordPress Plugins
- What is a WordPress Theme?
- Using WordPress Widgets
- How to Install a WordPress Theme
- Creating a Custom Menu in WordPress
- Managing Comments in WordPress
- Creating Users in WordPress
WordPress is a fantastic tools for managing your website content and with the right training you can master it.
Need convincing about WordPress? Why not read this article on all the great things about WordPress